Calgary Foundation offers community awards with unique criteria.
Brenda was a native Calgarian who began writing after turning forty. She was a mother of two and a loving wife. She died in her late forties prior to publishing any of her work. She would be delighted to know that with the support of this financial award she is helping writers accomplish their goals.
Applicants are notified of results by November.
CONDITIONS: Applicant must be a continuing resident of Calgary and area (at the date of application lived in Calgary for at least 12 months); at least forty years old; and working on the completion and publication of their first book of fiction.
- Submit only ONE piece of complete fiction or an excerpt of a longer piece.
- Submit no more, no less than 10-20 pages of your work typed, double spaced.
- ONLY one submission per applicant; number the pages, but do not identify yourself on your manuscript.
- Works that have been accepted by a publisher will not be considered.
- Applicant must be a continuing resident of Calgary and area (at date of application lived in Calgary for at least 12 months); at least forty years old; and an unpublished fiction writer.
Note: Judges will only consider submissions that meet the required criteria.
Registered charities may apply for support for outdoor safety projects or animal welfare projects listed below.
The David Elton Outdoor Fund (DEOF) was established in 2000 in memory of David Elton, who lost his life attempting to rescue a fellow hiker from the sea. The Fund is administered by Calgary Foundation with the advice of the DEOF committee.
- Established by Errol (Mike) and Dorothy Sherling to provide an ongoing funding source for the care of animals.
- This Fund accepts applications from Canadian registered charitable organizations operating in Alberta with a mandate of caring for animals and finding new loving homes for each adoptable animal. Supports special projects that directly benefit animals in our community, such as capital projects, animal or public education programs, or services for animals brought to a shelter.
- Grants from the Fund typically range from $3,500 to $7,500 and approximately ten grants are issued each year.
To start your application, visit our Online Grants Portal and “Create New Account” if needed.