Calgary Foundation’s promise is to build community. Forever.
That is why we are focusing even more effort on the entire social ecosystem with a dedicated Capacity Building Team.
This team is engaging our Calgary Foundation staff across all departments, surfacing wisdom and experience in order to break down silos to learn how best to use our collective strengths for better outcomes. Better connection across our departments will bring everyone to a place that begins to view our work through a systems lens – to consider how we can “more than grant” – so we can start to address change across the social ecosystem.
And though it is new and a work in progress, we are building a process that looks something like this: We will scan and survey, learn, gather, convene and spark collaboration, share community knowledge and, together, make sense of it all.
The Calgary Foundation’s Capacity Building Team’s purpose is to forge more and deeper connections among all the stakeholders in our social ecosystem so we may all be better informed and equipped to shift outcomes across that system. As we build our community together. Forever.
Tools for Charities
CAGP – Planned Giving & Tax Tools
- Helping non-profits fundraise for their great causes through the use of safe and reliable online tools to support donor management, data-collection and fundraising
Government of Alberta – Charitable fundraising act
Government of Alberta – Fundraising and solicitation responsibilities
Government of Canada – Fundraising by registered charities
Government of Canada – T3010 charity return – Filing information
- Storytelling Guide from Marca Strategy
- Building a Brand Book Guide from Marca Strategy
- Sign up to be part of the Community Knowledge Centre – a website where hundreds of local organizations share their impact.
- Funder’s Toolkit: Implementation of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Free Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) – FPIC Manual
- Support board members and volunteers of community based non-profit organizations through programs and services that help build organizational capacity to support and mobilize residents, and to be on the front lines of important issues affecting community. Offering members support in organizational development, financial services, urban planning, crime prevent and safety, engagement, and more.
- Building the non-profit sector’s capacity in leadership, human resources, finance, and policy advocacy through workshops and professional gatherings to learn, grow, and network.
- A national registered charity supporting non-profit leaders with new resources and professional support that enhances leadership skills, stimulates cross-sector collaboration, promotes knowledge sharing, and encourages innovation.
- Supporting non-profit organizations with volunteer knowledge and resources, while also connecting people in community to volunteer opportunities through their digital platform, the VolunteerConnector.
- non-profit hub providing inclusive, affordable, equitable space and community development programs to support and strengthen diverse grassroots and non-profit members, as well as supporting a wide array of community and non-profit sector development work with a focus on anti-racism and equity.
United Way of Calgary and Area – Group for Assisting and Improving Non-profits (GAIN) Team
- GAIN Team is a volunteer group of public and private sector leaders supporting capacity building opportunities for non-profit organizations, focusing on turning business challenges into growth opportunities.
- Alberta’s non-profit career source aims to match non-profit job seekers with employers
- Offers proactive educational and supportive approaches to governance and management through workshops, seminars, clinics, and one-on-one coaching to ensure regulatory compliance and best practices of your organization are met.
- Offers free tools on board governance, fundraising, risk management, finance and administration, staff management, volunteer involvement, charity tax tools and advocacy.
- Provides a variety of free webinars on organizational development, human resources, financial management and more.
- A charity designed to reduce the technological poverty that is often felt by many non-profit organizations.
- HRcouncil site is no longer functional, however the services will migrate to CFC sometime in 2019.
- The Circle is an open network that develops programs and spaces that cultivate conversations, connections, and relationships among Indigenous Peoples and philanthropic organizations.
Bridgestar (i.e. Building Future Leaders Diagnostic Survey)